Sign in to follow this  
Hanse

Upgrade the server please and set up a Donation thing

Teleported into the armory 20 times in 10 seconds in a siege and are you so lazy to set up a donation thingy... the free server is not gonna work when its over 100 players which will increase drastically now when the new clan comes aswell.....

I would like to remind you that the server is still in a beta phase. No one has ruled out the possibility of upgrading the server.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your frustration with the lag. I was playing the other day and got couched by someone who on my screen appeared to miss me by quite a distance and then I got completely rekt by people who didn't appear to even be hitting me on my screen.

Out of everyone I probably have the most reason to be frustrated with the lag. I've put months of my times into developing the scripts for the benefit of the community. I am very proud of what I have achieved with the scripts, especially when some of the people that have had a play with the admin panel have described the scripts as the best they have ever used. It's a shame that everyone does not have the same positive opinion of the scripts and is not excited for the other ideas I have that I wish to implement into the scripts. To be clear the lag is not the scripts fault,  but clearly the performance of the server is negatively effecting the reputation of me, the scripts, the server, the community and the mod.

Spoiler

For those that doubt the amount of work I have put into writing the scripts, here is my contribution graph to the scripts...

6165136866ec16fbef582410b24a821e.png

Note this is only a fraction of the number of commits I made to the project as I switched from repositories for the scripts a few months in, so the commits prior to that are not recorded.

Each "commit" I made is effectively a new feature or a bug fix, which can also be seen in the graph. The green number is the number of lines of code I have contributed. The red number is the number of lines of code I have removed/changed.

When I started on my journey of writing these scripts, I never intended to start a server. Throughout the development process I had agreed with multiple server owners that using their hardware, their donations, etc. I would deploy a server matching their currently server in terms of performance whilst providing them with far superior scripts. Sadly, every one of these server owners gave up and shut down their server before I had a chance to completely finish the scripts. There was of course others I could try to assist, but I was not keen on supporting people known in the community for poorly managing servers and for stealing  the reputation and the assets of previous more successful communities. This is why I ended up creating my own servers as part of this community.

In terms of the current server, I cannot go into too much detail on the agreement I have as it will likely cause issues on the other side of whom I have the deal with. What I can say though, is that the server has minimal load (about 50/50 split between our server and their work) and the server costs me absolutely nothing to run other than losses in my own time. The server is provided by SoYouStart, if I recall correctly, and has the following specs...

34e426868f18ec344728934f1c16643a.png

SoYouStart is a sub company of OVH and is very reliable, but is slightly more expensive than we could get at Webtropia, which is good based on my experience helping to manage servers owned by another gaming community...

Spoiler

f9d963ed3fed363621b59d60d4da29d4.png

For some reason, the server have is not performing as well as it should. I am unsure why and it is not really my area of expertise, which limits my ability to investigate why. A big factor is likely to be Mount and Blade's dedicate server which is known for poor optimization and it's preference of high clock counts over number of cores - a trait that can only be satisfied by more expensive servers.

I have been investigating ways we can improve performance, by either optimizing what we have or by upgrading the server.

The first thing, which I plan to try and implement tomorrow, is to switch from Warband Script Enhancer (WSE) 1 to WSE2. Currently WSE is only used for two main features... sanitizing chat, to prevent people crashing the server by using weird characters in chat, and to collect the IPs of players when they connect, to allow us to IP ban players who attempt to use secondary keys to evade bans. WSE2 is very new and potentially unstable, which is why I'm cautious about moving to it. For example, it only recently received an update to fix http requests - a core component of any PW/PK scripts. Saptor attempted to deploy it on the Krenn RP server the other day with very limited success, but he attempt was rushed and I think a little more work could yield better results. The benefit of switching to WSE2 is that it could improve server performance...

It improves server performance heavily with lots of agents and/or players, because I parallelized the two main bottlenecks (skeletal animation and network replication - figuring out what changes to send to clients). It does need a multi-core server to take advantage of that, though.

If all goes well I should hopefully be able to deploy this in the next few days, especially now that I have the next two weeks off before I go away training with the Army.

In terms of upgrading the server...

A few community members have already offered me access to servers. Unfortunately, some of these are provided as purely game servers and so I would not be able to install the backend of the scripts onto the server. Furthermore, a lot of server hosters might be against supporting my scripts given that I have actively tried to slash their profits in the way I have built and licensed the scripts. The server boxes I have been offered are a significant upgrade, but I am cautious that the terms of any deal could make some people have reason to claim that the server is biased in some way. I think that is a fair comment given that if for whatever reason we need to crackdown on the behavior of specific groups of individuals the stability of the server could be brought into question.

If we were to start renting our own servers, to get a decent improvement we'd want to get an i7 7700k, which from Webtropia is 50 euros / month. That is not something I am willing to pay myself. Some individuals have been spreading rumors that this because I think I'm "too good" to pay for it because I have already spent months of my life developing the mod and the scripts. This is not the case. If I played the server/mod I would be happy to contribute to it, but as I don't play it and get no benefit out of running the server I don't think it is really my responsibility or fair for people to expect me to pay this out of my own pocket. I am not "too lazy" to setup a donation thing. If that was really the case then why would I put any effort into setting up the server or writing the scripts? That's some pretty poor logic. The actual reason I do not wish to setup donations is because they never work post TW monetization rules. People simply have no reason to donate. If I setup a donation thing then I'd expect the whole server (40 / 50 euro) to be paid completely shortly before it is renewed each month. If this was not the case then I'd shutdown the server at the end of the current rental period and would have to return the donations, which is a lot of work to do. Furthermore, trying to get back in on my current deal after I go elsewhere is not really fair given the work it would take my partner to re setup the server. Given the chance this happens is very high I don't think it's worth attempting it unless a lot of reliable show interest in donating. Currently, a lot of the most vocal people complaining about the lag have claimed they will not donate, which prevents me from taking them seriously. If you seriously would consider donating, could you please PM me with a rough estimate of how much you'd be willing to pay per month, so I can scope out how feasible it is to get a better server.

TLDR: I am aware of the issues an sympathize with you. I will begin work on resolving the issues as a matter of urgency and will keep you updated on my progress. Until then, I ask you to remain respectful of the work I have put into the scripts / server. Spreading rumors and constantly putting me down with complaints about the performance is of no help what so ever.

Please fill out this poll so we have some quantitative information about current server performance.

I will be installing my WSE2 version of the server tomorrow evening. So we will see how performance improves then.

WSE2 has now been put onto the server in today's maintenance with a few other little fixes.

Please use this topic to let me know if anything is odd, especially with regards to the server config as I accidentally wiped it, and if you have any immediate feedback in regards to performance or stability.

I will make another poll regarding performance in a couple of days so we get some data on the overall effect WSE2 has.

Biggest downside of donations is if some (mentally challenged) clan leaders donate a lot of stuff, they want something in return, other than the server and forum managed by us. Not saying that this is going to happen here, but it was the biggest Problem on Phoenix.

There is nothing worse than being dependent on money donated by people who would steer this community downhill. The trade off so far has always been "I give monez, you RESPECT me and I want to do what I want with my clan". Personally I'd rather cap the server to 100 players then having the same shitty situation imported from phoenix. 

1 minute ago, Bridge Troll said:

Biggest downside of donations is if some (mentally challenged) clan leaders donate a lot of stuff, they want something in return, other than the server and forum managed by us. Not saying that this is going to happen here, but it was the biggest Problem on Phoenix.

There is nothing worse than being dependent on money donated by people who would steer this community downhill. The trade off so far has always been "I give monez, you RESPECT me and I want to do what I want with my clan". Personally I'd rather cap the server to 100 players then having the same shitty situation imported from phoenix. 

Not like our glorious Imperator Bellator donated over 300 euros to phoenix and got in return plated chargers and a good amount of gold 

47 minutes ago, Bridge Troll said:

Words of wisdom. Maybe lower the pop to 120ish?

Just now, Bridge Troll said:

I fully agree.

I would also like to mention that EU_Kingdoms shouldn't grant previliges to clans and their leaders just because "they populate the server". Like in the case with donations, this often has been abused by clans and should be avoided.